The Pumpkin Patch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge

3 posters

Go down

Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge Empty Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge

Post  Admin Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:07 am

Autumn !!!

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness !!!

What pictures does this conjure up for you???

Baskets of ripe rosy fruits ??

Piles of freshly harvested vegetables ???

Harvest Festival service ???

A short story? .... a poem maybe ? Or perhaps a description of your autumn garden??

Please share your thoughts with the rest of us !!!

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thepumpkinpatch.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge Empty An autumn story from Times Gone By

Post  jabberwock Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:44 am

Whilst it is true that many people are grateful for the enormous benefits that technology has brought to the Molehills, there are others who look back nostalgically to earlier times. Improvements in gardening techniques mean that walnuts, asparagus and raspberries can now be harvested all year round. This has made food production much more reliable and no gnome need fear starvation in the harsher winter months. But some of the very oldest gnomes, with the longest beards, do remember a time back in the Age of the First Empire, when different seasons did bring different delights to the Molehill lands. In May there would always be a great party to celebrate the all too brief, but truly delicious, asparagus season. The arrival of the first strawberries in June was eagerly anticipated. Autumn brought its own delights as plums, apples, and pears succeeded each other, in turn yielding pride of place to walnuts.

Most gnomes consider that food security and a restored imperial succession after the long, dark years without an emperor (with Emperor Storm I and Emperor Mitzidog both proving to be wise and revered emperors) are well worth the sacrifice of seasonality and consider that harking back to the past is misguided sentimentality. Nevertheless, some enjoy telling stories from the First Age. With the passage of time, the details may become a little hazy – what was the name of the first emperor? – few can agree, but even young gnomes enjoy an evening spent sitting with their elders, sipping apple juice listening to Tales from Times Gone By. Here is one of their favourites:

It was autumn in the molehills and all around the gardens trees were laden with ripe fruit and gnomes were busy harvesting and polishing every last apple, pear and walnut so that they would store through the long winter.

Jabber Wabber was busy raking up the fallen leaves under the walnut trees. This was taking a long time because the youngest gnomes were having great fun jumping on to the piles of leaves and spreading them round the garden again. But Jabber Wabber persisted and was working steadily when something landed on her head.
“Oh no” said Jabber Wabber, “the sky is falling in”. I must go and tell the Emperor. So Jabber Wabber set off to tell the Emperor that the sky was falling in. On the way she met Numpty Wumpty.

“Hello Jabber Wabber” said Numpty Wumpty, “I have just finished brewing some of my special carrot wine, come and have a glass”.

“Oh, Numpty Wumpty” exclaimed Jabber Wabber, “I can’t. The sky is falling in and I have to tell the emperor”

“The sky is falling in?” said Numpty Wumpty anxiously. “I will come with you”

So Jabber Wabber and Numpty Wumpty set off to see the emperor. On the way they met Wafflez Pofflez, busying deadheading some marigolds. “Hello Jabber Wabber and Numpty Wumpty” said Wafflez Pofflez, “where are you going to in such a hurry?”
“Oh, Wafflez Pofflez” exclaimed Jabber Wabber, “such news! The sky is falling in and we are going to tell the Emperor”

“The sky is falling in?” said Wafflez Pofflez, “That is important news, I will come with you”

So Jabber Wabber, Numpty Wumpty and Wafflez Pofflez set off to see the emperor. On the way they met Cazy Wazy who had just made a large apple pie. “Why Jabber Wabber, Numpty Wumpty and Wafflez Pofflez” said Cazy Wazy. “Where are you going to this fine morning?”
“It won’t be a fine day for long, Cazy Wazy” panted Jabber Wabber, “The sky is falling in and we are going to tell the Emperor”

“The sky is falling in?” said Cazy Wazy, “That’s terrible! I will come with you”

So Jabber Wabber ,Numpty Wumpty, Wafflez Pofflez and Cazy Wazy set off to see the emperor. On the way they met Sexy Wexy, the vain fox, who was busy brushing his hair. “Hello Jabber Wabber , Numpty Wumpty, Wafflez Pofflez and Cazy Wazy” said Sexy Wexy. “Where are you all going to?”
“We are going to the Imperial Palace to tell the Emperor that the sky is falling in” replied Jabber Wabber.
“That is extremely serious news,” said Sexy Wexy. “I will come with you. In fact if you follow me I can show you a short cut to the emperor's palace, so you will get there sooner.”

So Jabber Wabber, Numpty Wumpty, Wafflez Pofflez and Cazy Wazy all followed Sexy Wexy. He led them to the wood, and up to a dark hole, which was the door to his home. Inside his wife and five hungry children were waiting for him to bring home some dinner.

And, it is with great regret that I have to tall you that this was the end of Numpty Wumpty, Wafflez Pofflez and Cazy Wazy for one by one they all followed Sexy Wexy into his home and were all eaten up by the hungry fox family.
Jabber Wabber was the last to enter the Fox's hole and she heard Numpty Wumpty squealing in alarm in front of her. In a terrible panic, she turned and ran as fast as she could for the safety of her own molehill gardens. There she stayed and the Emperor never did find out that the sky was falling in. And the walnut that had landed on her head settled down into the fallen leaves and began its long, slow growth into a walnut tree…

Last edited by jabberwock on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spotted a typo)

jabberwock

Back to top Go down

Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge Empty Re: Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge

Post  cazyshell Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:11 am

jabberwock that is just a cool story it is just such great fun to read Smile
cazyshell
cazyshell

Back to top Go down

Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge Empty Re: Autumn !!! ~ Writers Challenge

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down