The Pumpkin Patch
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tartiflette

2 posters

Go down

Tartiflette Empty Tartiflette

Post  numptyz Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:55 am

Tartiflette is a potato casserole that is a favorite in France. It's a specialty from the Savoie (Alps) region. Perfect on a cold day !! Reblochon cheese is the authentic cheese for the dish, but it's almost impossible to find outside of France... Raclette cheese mixed with Gruyere is also a good substitute....I use Brie and that works extremely well...

This is such an easy recipe....no fixed quantities.....

Ingredients
About two and half pounds red potatoes
Bacon gougons or lean streaky bacon cut into small strips
2 good sized onions sliced
Large double cream
About quarter pint semi skimmed milk
Brie
Thyme (fresh if possible), nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Method
Peel potatoes and cut into chunky slices...
Boil until going tender but not fully cooked... remove from heat, drain and put to one side.
Either use ready cut bacon lardons or chop streaky bacon into small pieces...Fry gently in a little oil until tender then add the onions and fry till transparent
In a large dish layer the onion/bacon mix and the potatoes...combine the cream,milk thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and pour over.
Split Brie through middle and place cut side down on top
Bake in oven preheated to about mark 5 180C 350F for about 40 mins

It should be lightly brown and bubbling...

Serve with salad / veg / any kind of meat / garlic bread / crusty bread ...

Last but not least, invite me round because I love this !!! Yummy !!!
numptyz
numptyz

Back to top Go down

Tartiflette Empty Re: Tartiflette

Post  jabberwock Mon May 17, 2010 2:24 am

We have a continental market come to town a couple of times a year and there is always a stall selling this. I wish they sold a version without the meat!

jabberwock

Back to top Go down

Post  numptyz Mon May 17, 2010 3:51 am

Make it yourself honey.... just leave the bacon out !!! I often make it without the bacon and its still delicious !!!!

Recipes do vary somewhat.... We also have the continental market a couple of times a year, and you can buy reblochon cheese, but its a bit expensive !!! Brie works fine...
When the market comes to Aberdeen they dont even add the thyme and nutmeg...and the amount of bacon is so minuscule that it can hardly add to the taste !!! The nutmeg is a must in my opinion and its better if you can grate a whole nutmeg so that its very fresh....Same with the thyme... a sprig of fresh thyme laid on top....Yummy...
numptyz
numptyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum